UK’s Junior Brexit minister Robin Walker, speaking to German Funke Media Group this Friday, sounded optimistic that Britain and the EU will reach a breakthrough in Brexit talks soon.
• I hope that this happens in the next three weeks.
• Doesn’t believe a disorderly Brexit is likely.
• Brexit negotiations on details are constructive.
• Would be desirable for both the EU and Britain to reach a deal at an EU summit in November.
• There is agreement on more than 95% of the Brexit deal.
• Currently discussing how to avoid hard border between Ireland and N. Ireland.
• Britain will not consider customs border between N.Ireland and Britain in the Irish Sea.
• One scenario is Britain remaining in customs union after the end of the transition period.
• This would avoid new borders controls between Ireland and N.Ireland.
• EU and Britain both need to show flexibility and imagination.